My friend Nora Gedgaudas — author, nutritionist and repeat ReWild Yourself Podcast guest — joins me to discuss the essential nutrient that our bodies literally evolved to eat: Fat. In her latest book Primal Fat Burner (coming soon to a bookstore near you!), Nora refutes the popular mainstream belief that saturated fat is the culprit of disease and shares how dietary fat is actually crucial to vibrant physical and mental health.
We cover a lot of ground in this episode as Nora guides us through the ancestral diet we are built for, the nutrients we need to acquire from animal-sourced foods and cultivating a foundational metabolism. We also get into some fascinating side tangents — from ethical issues in the world of natural foods to corporate funding of veganism to alcohol to feminism. Enjoy!
- Daniel shares on:
- Smelt fishing and preparation
- ReWild 101: A New Path Book Club
- Nora on writing her most recent book & the writing process
- Primal Fat Burner
- How the sugar industry shifted heart disease blame to fat
- Ethical dilemmas in the natural foods industry
- Corporate vested interest in carbs as a staple and veganism
- Is dairy a healthful food?
- Wheat, domestication and war
- Feminism vs. one-ness — what makes us fundamentally human
- Alcohol — a food and a drug
- Cultivating a foundational metabolism
- The diet we are built for
- How to get sufficient DHA
- Nora’s upcoming book release and charity event
- Diet diversity and the health of your microbiome
- Protein moderation
- The nutrients we need from animal-sourced foods
- We evolved as fat hunters
- Nora goes more in-depth on what’s included in Primal Fat Burner
- How to stay in contact with Nora and find out more about her new book and charity event
- Nora's prognosis for the future of the human species
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by Surthrival.com, a premier provider of supplements designed to advance your health and transformation. Aimed to assist and restore the body’s fundamental needs: adaptability, immunity, potency, recovery and regeneration, Surthrival products are formulated to invoke the wild nature hidden within the timid and tamed and promote gains for those who’ve been hittin’ it hard all along. Traditional Herbs for a Modern World and a culture of evolution! This is our Life!
- Primal Fat Burner: Book Launch and Charity Gala
- Primal Fat Burner by Nora Gedgaudas
- From Nora's Blog: Low-Carb on Trial (Galileo Had it Easy)
- From Nora's Blog: Recently Revealed Shady Shenanigans of the Sugar Industry
- From Nora's Blog: Is There One Universally Foundational Human Diet?
- David Perlmutter
- How the Sugar Industry Shifted Blame to Fat
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: Why I’m Not A Vegan - Daniel Vitalis #94
- Specificity and Cross-Reactivity
- Gobekli Tepe
- Dry Farm Wines
- Expensive tissue hypothesis
- Meat in the human diet: an anthropological perspective. Dr. Neil Mann
- Allan Savory 2013 TED talk: How to fight desertification and reverse climate change
- Savory Institute
- Hunt Gather Grow Foundation
- Dr. Richard Bernstein
Nora on ReWild Yourself Podcast:
- Cultivating the Feral Mind - Nora Gedgaudas #4
- Using Entheogens to Free Our Minds from Cultural Conditioning - Nora Gedgaudas #22
Connect with Nora:
Nora Gedgaudas, CNS, NTP, BCHN, is author of Primal Body, Primal Mind and a widely recognized expert on what is popularly referred to as the “Paleo diet.” In private practice in Portland, Oregon, she is a nutritional consultant, speaker, and educator, a Board-Certified nutritional consultant and a Board-Certified clinical Neurofeedback Specialist. Her popular podcasts are on iTunes, along with numerous free articles and videos available through her homepage.