In past episodes of ReWild Yourself Podcast, I’ve explained why I’m not a vegan (ReWild Yourself Podcast #94) and, instead, why I’m a conscientious omnivore (ReWild Yourself Podcast #100). In my personal quest for the most natural diet for the human animal, I was a vegan for about 10 years, and The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith was an impactful read for me as I transitioned back to an omnivorous diet.
I’m thrilled to have Lierre Keith — former vegan, best-selling author and environmentalist — join us to share about her experience with veganism. Lierre spent 20 years eating a vegan diet, and in that time, she did significant damage to her body. Only when she began to introduce animal foods back into her diet — eating a more balanced, omnivorous diet — was her body able to heal and regenerate. Lierre also explains the destructive history of agriculture and why veganism is not the answer for ecological restoration of our devastated prairies and forests. This is an important conversation for all of us interested in eating the optimal human diet while living with a light ecological footprint on this planet!
**Please note: The audio quality of this interview is not excellent because we recorded over Skype. We apologize in advance for the audio quality, but we think the content makes up for it!
- Show introduction:
- Poison ivy, nettle stings and tick bites
- Harvesting Hopniss, Apios americana
- Upcoming Florida hunt + gather trip
- Subscribe to my newsletter
- Q&A: Thoughts on gardening vs wild food foraging
- Introducing Lierre Keith
- How Lierre came to write The Vegetarian Myth
- The damage veganism can do to the human body
- The results of Lierre’s 20 years of veganism
- What led Lierre to ecological restoration
- Why are vegans so angry?
- Agriculture and our hierarchical civilization
- Is organic farming a way forward?
- Restoring the prairie grasslands
- The future of Lierre’s work
- What keeps Lierre motivated in her work
- Lierre’s prognosis for the future of the human species
- How to find Lierre’s work
Subscribe to ReWild Yourself Podcast
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by:
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by Surthrival.com, a premier provider of supplements designed to advance your health and transformation. Aimed to assist and restore the body’s fundamental needs: adaptability, immunity, potency, recovery and regeneration, Surthrival products are formulated to invoke the wild nature hidden within the timid and tamed and promote gains for those who’ve been hittin’ it hard all along. Traditional Herbs for a Modern World and a culture of evolution! This is our Life!
When it comes to the lotions, potions, scents, creams and essential oils I put on my skin — or recommend to my friends — there’s only Living Libations. Beyond organic, anoint yourself with the highest-vibe essences of the ecosystem. Head over to LivingLibations.com and use coupon code REWILD for 5% off your order!
RESOURCES FROM THIS SHOW:
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: Zombie Ticks and the Lyme Wars - Stephen Harrod Buhner #73
- Hopniss, Apios americana
- Sam Thayer
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: Foraging Wild Foods - Sam Thayer #2
- Sam Thayer's books
- Tending the Wild: Native American Knowledge and the Management of California's Natural Resources by M. Kat Anderson
- Weston Price Foundation
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: ReWilding North America - Dan Flores #93
- American Serengeti: The Last Big Animals of the Great Plains by Dan Flores
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: Do You Take This Man To Be Your Owner? - Daniel Vitalis #5
- Gobekli Tepe
- Derrick Jensen
- Plows, Plagues, and Petroleum: How Humans Took Control of Climate by William F. Ruddiman
- Buffalo Commons
- The Buffalo Commons by Richard S. Wheeler
- The Buffalo Commons as Regional Metaphor and Geographic Method
- Savory Institute
- Allan Savory's TED talk: How to fight desertification and reverse climate change
- COWSPIRACY documentary
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: Healing the Land - Ben Falk #104
- Joel Salatin
Supplementary ReWild Yourself Podcasts:
- Why I'm Not a Vegan - Daniel Vitalis #94
- Why I’m a Conscientious Omnivore - Daniel Vitalis & Arthur Haines #100
- How To Feed Your Human series: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
Connect with Lierre:
Lierre Keith is a writer, radical feminist, food activist, and environmentalist.
Her book The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability has been called “the most important ecological book of this generation.”
Her writing and lectures focus on civilization’s violence against the planet, male violence against women, and the need for serious resistance to both.