“…The modern day renewal of rites of passage is essential not only for the health of the individual, but also for the health of our communities and for the planet." -School of Lost Borders
Petra Lentz-Snow has guided vision fasts and wilderness rite of passage programs for over 20 years and is currently serving as Co-Director and Board Member at the School of Lost Borders. A rite of passage is a ceremony or ritual that marks a transition into a new life stage. Some rites of passage occur naturally over the course of your life and others are brought about by crisis or a significant change in your life. The modern day renewal of rite of passage ceremonies, initiated by organizations like the School of Lost Borders, gives us the opportunity to intentionally step into our lives more fully and reclaim our indigenous soul.
In this episode, Petra gives us an in-depth look into the purpose and process of rites of passage, both naturally-occurring and intentionally sought out ceremonies, such as guided vision fasts. She takes us through the many different types of rites of passage, discusses why crisis is crucial for growth and shares about the role of the natural world in rite of passage. Enjoy, and be prepared to soak up Petra's deep, healing wisdom throughout this conversation.
- Show Introduction
- New Surthrival product teaser
- I’d Rather Hunt + Gather T-shirt Pre-order ending soon!
- Spring, maple syrup tapping & upcoming hunt + gather adventures
- Winners of “I’d Rather Hunt + Gather” giveaway
- Q&A: Daniel’s thoughts on proposed bill that could end foraging in Maine
- Arthur Haines’ new project on sustainably harvesting native plants
- Introducing Petra Lentz-Snow
- How Petra got into guiding rite of passage retreats
- What is a rite of passage?
- Bringing your gift out into the world
- The first and foremost rite of passage
- Common rites of passage for women and men
- What calls people to a rite of passage?
- Protecting your status
- Why is crisis crucial?
- Preparing for a rite of passage
- The role of the natural world in rite of passage
- Coming back from a rite of passage
- Petra’s prognosis for the future of the human species
Subscribe to ReWild Yourself Podcast
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by:
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by Surthrival.com, a premier provider of supplements designed to advance your health and transformation. Aimed to assist and restore the body’s fundamental needs: adaptability, immunity, potency, recovery and regeneration, Surthrival products are formulated to invoke the wild nature hidden within the timid and tamed and promote gains for those who’ve been hittin’ it hard all along. Traditional Herbs for a Modern World and a culture of evolution! This is our Life!
When it comes to the lotions, potions, scents, creams and essential oils I put on my skin — or recommend to my friends — there’s only Living Libations. Beyond organic, anoint yourself with the highest-vibe essences of the ecosystem. Head over to LivingLibations.com and use coupon code REWILD for 5% off your order!
RESOURCES FROM THIS SHOW:
- A MeatEater’s Guide to Eating Invasive Species
- Proposed bill could mean end of foraging
- Arthur Haines' Kickstarter: Balance: How To Sustainably Harvest Native Plants
- Roots of the School of Lost Borders
- Fasting in the Wilderness - by Steven Foster, written in 1986
- Meredith Little
- Meredith: Holding Sacred Space and Marking Rites of Passage
- How to Prepare for Your Vision Fast Ceremony
- Huffington Post: What is a Vision Quest and Why Do One?
- Wilderness Rites of Passage by John Davis
- Where is My Tribe? by Scott Eberle, M.D.
- A Vision: Remembering and Reclaiming our Indigenous Soul
- Rites of Passage and the Story of Our Times by Will Scott
- The Practice of Living and Dying
- Dr. Scott Eberle
- The Red Thread ~ Dr. Scott Eberle
Supplementary ReWild Yourself Podcasts:
- Initiate Them, or the Village Will Burn - Tim Corcoran #81
- Awakening Women's Wisdom - Jeannine Tidwell #90
CONNECT WITH PETRA:
Petra Lentz-Snow has guided vision fasts and wilderness rite of passage programs for over 20 years and is currently serving as Co-Director and Board Member at the school. From 2012 - 2015 she was the executive director of the Wilderness Guides Council, a network of guides supporting wilderness ceremonies around the world.
Her personal journey with breast cancer instructed Petra first-hand how important the container of the natural world and the rite of passage ceremony are when one is cracked open and irrevocably changed by unforeseen life initiations, such as illness, loss of a loved one or other pertinent trauma. In her free time, she writes articles for her blog ‘Journeys into Healing’ and gives talks at various venues to raise awareness about Cancer as a Rite of Passage.
Petra's wilderness training in the U.S. began at the Bear Tribe, founded by Chippewa medicine man, Sun Bear, and concluded at the School of Lost Borders with Steven and Meredith Foster in 1995. Born and raised in Germany, Petra is a licensed practitioner of naturopathic medicine and a mother of three young adult children.