The ocean has long been a source of sustenance, inspiration and adventure for Kimi Werner. Free diving to the ocean floor on a single breath to catch each day’s meal, Kimi is intimately connected with her local ecosystem. Her passion for spearfishing and ocean ecology has led her to be a heart-driven voice for conscientious hunting and conservation.
Growing up off the grid in an isolated part of coastal Maui, Kimi was introduced to spearfishing by her father, who freedove for her family’s primary food source. Discovering her passion for free diving later in life, she went on to become the U.S. National Spearfishing Champion.
While there are many complexities to identifying as a hunter, Kimi believes that conscientious hunting is a meaningful way to have true connection to where our food comes from. We discuss this, as well as the role hunters play in restoring the earth back to balance. For those who are interested in the more tactical, day-to-day elements of Kimi’s spearfishing practice, you’ll enjoy hearing Kimi break down her spearfishing kit, the fish to table process, her favorite smoker grill and more!
- Show Introduction:
- Fountain of Truth Spring Water crowdfunding campaign
- Q&A: Building strength and agility for archery and hunting
- Q&A: Daniel's tick strategy
- Introducing Kimi Werner
- Kimi’s recent adventures
- The complexity of identifying as a hunter
- Connection to our food and our sense of self
- Kimi explains her spearfishing hunting practice
- How Kimi remains undetected from prey underwater
- Kimi’s basic spearfishing kit
- Special relationships with certain tools
- What species have meant to the most to Kimi
- The most humbling species that Kimi has shared the water with
- The fish to table process
- How Kimi keeps her fish cold after the hunt
- Kimi’s favorite smoker grill
- Getting into mammal hunting and hunting invasive species
- Do hunters play a role in the future of bringing the earth back to balance?
- How to connect with Kimi
Subscribe to ReWild Yourself Podcast
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by:
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by Surthrival.com, a premier provider of supplements designed to advance your health and transformation. Aimed to assist and restore the body’s fundamental needs: adaptability, immunity, potency, recovery and regeneration, Surthrival products are formulated to invoke the wild nature hidden within the timid and tamed and promote gains for those who’ve been hittin’ it hard all along. Traditional Herbs for a Modern World and a culture of evolution! This is our Life!
RESOURCES FROM THIS SHOW:
- Fountain of Truth Spring Water Indiegogo Campaign
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: Spring water to your door? - Mukhande Singh #92
- Steven Rinella
- Cameron Hanes
- MovNat - Erwan Le Corre
- Scott Sonnon
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: Zombie Ticks and the Lyme Wars - Stephen Harrod Buhner #73
- Healing Lyme: Natural Healing of Lyme Borreliosis and the Coinfections Chlamydia and Spotted Fever Rickettsiosis, 2nd Edition by Stephen Harrod Buhner
- Instagram photo discussed on show: Kimi with Inuit man
- Bigeye Emperor, Mū
- Pelagic fish
- Yeti Hopper
- Traeger Grills
- Axis deer
- Patagonia's Fish People
The ocean has long been a source of sustenance, inspiration and adventure for Kimi Werner. As a young child growing up off the grid in an isolated part of coastal Maui, she floated behind her father as he freedove for her family's primary food source. Only later as an adult on Oahu did she understand the central role the ocean was to play in her life when she discovered her own passion for free diving.
Kimi has gone on to become the United States National Spearfishing Champion, a certified culinary chef, an award winning artist and a sought after speaker. Her daily life is a pure fusion of her talents, rooted in sustainability and geared towards a healthy future for our global community.