As an avid barefooter, I’ve tried countless barefooting shoes over the years, but none compare to Vibram FiveFingers. I’ve been a fan of FiveFingers for some time — they have allowed me to develop a foot dexterity, nimbleness and strength that I didn’t know was possible! It was so exciting to get a chance to talk to Vibram’s Director of Sales and Distribution, Chris Melton.
Chris shares the story of Vibram's early beginnings, how FiveFingers came to be, the evolution of some of their most loved models and what we can look forward to from them in the future. Most importantly, he answers every Vibram fan’s burning question: Is it pronounced Vee-bram or Vy-brum?? Whether you’re a loyal Vibram FiveFingers aficionado or a fan of barefooting in general, this show is for you!
- Daniel answers your questions on:
- His top fabric choices for clothing
- Squirrel hunting
- Rationing animal protein from hunts
- Daniel discusses a question on the topic of suicide
- Is it Vee-bram or Vy-brum?
- A bit about Chris’s background
- Why are Vibram soles everywhere?
- Vibram’s recent growth
- The beginnings of Vibram’s Five Fingers
- Barefooting shoes and stylishness
- Women and Vibrams
- The new Furokshiki shoe and boot
- Should you wear socks with Vibrams?
- Wearing barefoot shoes in obstacles courses like Tough Mudder
- Review of favorite Vibram models
- The evolution of Vibram models
- The story of the Vibram class action lawsuit
- The future of Vibram
- Where to find Vibram online
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by Surthrival.com, a premier provider of supplements designed to advance your health and transformation. Aimed to assist and restore the body’s fundamental needs: adaptability, immunity, potency, recovery and regeneration, Surthrival products are formulated to invoke the wild nature hidden within the timid and tamed and promote gains for those who’ve been hittin’ it hard all along. Traditional Herbs for a Modern World and a culture of evolution! This is our Life!
- First Lite
- Triple Aught Design
- Force 10 Cargo pants and shorts
- Melodia Designs
- ReWild Yourself podcast: F*ck Shoes - Daniel Vitalis #107
- Vibram's history
- Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall
- National Academy of Sports Medicine
- A 2006 Interview with Robert Fliri, Inventor of [what we now know as] Five Fingers
- Furoshiki boot
- Injinji socks
- Trek Ascent
- CVT Hemp
- KMD Sport LS
- Vibram class-action lawsuit
- Vibram website
- Getting started with FiveFingers
- Vibram on Instagram @vibram
- Vibram on Twitter @vibram
- Vibram on Facebook
Chris Melton is a footwear industry veteran. After four years at Converse, he led the INOV-8 brand from 2011-2014 as North American General Manager. Chris is now Director of Sales and Distribution for the Vibram brand’s finished goods business unit in North and South America. He’s a former Division 1 baseball player, practices an 85% paleo lifestyle, and is married with two children and resides in Hopkinton, MA (home of the Boston Marathon starting line).