Our brains produce new brain cells throughout our entire lives through a process called neurogenesis, and in this podcast, Dr. Brant Cortright is going to share what this means for our brain health and how we can enhance the way our brains operate. Dr. Cortright is a clinical psychologist and Professor of Psychology at California Institute of Integral Studies, specializing in cutting-edge brain health and neuroscience-informed depth therapy.
When we increase the rate of neurogenesis, we see things like improved cognitive function, better memory, less stress, more energy and increased immune health. When we decrease the rate of neurogenesis, however, we see the opposite: poor cognition and memory, increased stress and anxiety and decreased immune health. In this interview, Dr. Cortright discusses the diet and lifestyle components — which mirror the ReWilding diet and lifestyle — that are crucial for your neural development. He shares some interesting information on sleep, and we also get into the effects of substances like caffeine, cannabis and mushrooms on brain health. Tune in for a fascinating discussion — rich with actionable information — that can help improve the functioning of your human animal!
*There is a bit of background noise in parts of this interview that we were unable to edit out. Apologies for the less than excellent sound quality in this episode! We feel the content more than makes up for it (;
- Daniel shares on:
- Podcast updates
- Feasting with Maine community on Thanksgiving
- Hunting and gathering with a partner
- Strategic planning for 2017 hunting & gathering
- Daniel answers your questions on:
- Inflammation caused by down comforters
- Eating parasites
- Eating raw eggs from fresh water fish
- What is neurogenesis?
- The optimal diet for neurogenesis
- How much DHA should you be getting per day?
- Best DHA-rich foods
- The “heart healthy” vegetable oil myth
- Crucial foods for neural development
- Best exercise for neurogenesis
- Caffeine and neurogenesis
- Cannabis, mushrooms and neurogenesis
- The importance of sleep for optimal cognitive functioning
- An interesting occurrence in the last few hours of sleep
- Mindfulness and meditation
- Blending the natural and modern world
- Dr. Cortright's prognosis for the future of the human species
- Where to find Dr. Cortright's work
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by Surthrival.com, a premier provider of supplements designed to advance your health and transformation. Aimed to assist and restore the body’s fundamental needs: adaptability, immunity, potency, recovery and regeneration, Surthrival products are formulated to invoke the wild nature hidden within the timid and tamed and promote gains for those who’ve been hittin’ it hard all along. Traditional Herbs for a Modern World and a culture of evolution! This is our Life!
If you would love to have a Clearlight sauna in your home, I have a special offer for you! Because of our great relationship, Clearlight has offered our community $450 off your order, free shipping anywhere in the contiguous United States, and a free backrest when you use the coupon code REWILD at check out!
- Three Lily Farm on Instagram: @cheffrankyg @threelilymama
- Ancestral Plants Volume 1 by Arthur Haines
- Ancestral Plants Volume 2 by Arthur Haines
- The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants by Sam Thayer
- Nature's Garden: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants by Sam Thayer
- Neo-Abo Roundtable, Part Two - Daniel Vitalis, Arthur Haines, Frank Giglio #120
- Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA): An Ancient Nutrient for the Modern Human Brain
- There's Something Fishy About Human Brain Evolution
- Monkeys that eat omega-3 rich diet show more developed brain networks
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
- α-Linolenic acid (ALA)
- Amyloid Plaque
- Brant Cortright on Bulletproof Podcast – Neurogenesis Diet & Combating Cognitive Decline: #287
Meet Dr. Cortright
Brant Cortright, Ph.D., is the author of The Neurogenesis Diet and Lifestyle: Upgrade Your Brain, Upgrade Your Life and a brain health coach. He is a Professor of psychology at the California Institute of Integral Studies. As a licensed clinical psychologist he maintains a private practice in San Francisco that focuses on an integral/holistic and neuroscience-informed approach to brain health and depth psychotherapy. He specializes in depression, stress and anxiety, career and meaning, as well as relationship and intimacy issues.
He has authored two previous books, Integral Psychology and Psychotherapy and Spirit (both published by SUNY Press.) He speaks and gives workshops around the US, Europe and Asia.