What is the mind? How does the mind differ from the brain? These are some of the questions Dr. Daniel Siegel explores in his second appearance on the ReWild Yourself podcast. Dr. Siegel is a noted neuropsychiatrist and New York Times best-selling author, and he has just released a new book that delves into consciousness, subjective experience and the self-organizational properties of the mind. In this episode, we go deeper into some of the topics we covered in our first conversation. We discuss how Dr. Siegel navigates the worlds of science and spirituality in his work, how brain activity differs from the mind, our perception of time and his hopes for his work in mindsight and personal transformation.
- Daniel Vitalis shares and answers your questions on:
- Hunter safety courses
- Processing of meat after a hunt
- Waiting until after the first freeze to hunt squirrel
- Balancing the modern hunting & gathering lifestyle with a day job
- Dr. Siegel’s latest book Mind: A Journey to the Heart of Being Human
- Between two worlds
- Self organization and integration
- Science vs spirituality
- “Mind” vs “brain activity"
- The directionality of change & access to the infinite
- Who are we, really?
- Breaking down the Wheel of Awareness
- Bridging the islands
- Dr. Siegel’s hope for his work
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by Surthrival.com, a premier provider of supplements designed to advance your health and transformation. Aimed to assist and restore the body’s fundamental needs: adaptability, immunity, potency, recovery and regeneration, Surthrival products are formulated to invoke the wild nature hidden within the timid and tamed and promote gains for those who’ve been hittin’ it hard all along. Traditional Herbs for a Modern World and a culture of evolution! This is our Life!
- Meditations on Hunting by Jose Ortega y Gasset
- ReWild Yourself podcast: Mindsight and the Plane of Possibility - Dr. Dan Siegel #86
- William James
- Human Connectome Project
- Spiritual bypass
- Quantum entanglement
- Arrow of time
- ReWild Yourself podcast: Habits, the Power of Automated Decisions - Gretchen Rubin #82
- The Neurobiology of “We”
MEET DR. DAN SIEGEL
Dr. Daniel J. Siegel received his medical degree from Harvard University and completed his postgraduate medical education at UCLA with training in pediatrics and child, adolescent and adult psychiatry. Dr. Siegel is currently clinical professor of psychiatry at the UCLA School of Medicine where he is on the faculty of the Center for Culture, Brain, and Development and the founding co-director of the Mindful Awareness Research Center. An award-winning educator, he is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and recipient of several honorary fellowships. Dr. Siegel is a New York Times best selling author and has also published extensively for the professional audience.
He has lectured for the King of Thailand, Pope John Paul II, His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Google University, London's Royal Society of Arts (RSA), and TEDx. He lives in Southern California with his family.