Listen on iTunes or stream above!
In this episode of ReWild Yourself! podcast, I talk with Rory Miller — author of Mediations on Violence — about the human violence blueprint. We debunk some of the most common misconceptions about violence and self defense.
- The Violence Taboo
- Why are humans so afraid of violence?
- The Violence Threshold
- Common misconceptions surrounding violence
- Misconceptions about law enforcement
- The unknowns vs. creating your own reality
- Levels of security
- Scenarios of violent situations
- Rory’s top tips for human survivability
- Awareness makes your life richer
- Nature vs. nurture
No one should be training for self defense out of fear. You should train because you love training. Tweet it!
Awareness makes your life richer. Tweet it!
None of us are the products of ancestors who refused to defend themselves. Tweet it!
- Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence by Rory Miller
- Maslow's hierarchy of needs
- Violence: A Writer’s Guide by Rory Miller
- Russian girl getting mugged - video
- Rory’s Seminars
- Services offered by Rory
- Rory’s Blog
- Facing Violence: 7 Things Every Martial Must Know by Rory Miller
- Scaling Force: Dynamic Decision Making Under Threat of Violence by Rory Miller and Lawrence A. Kane
- Force Decisions: A Citizen's Guide to Understanding How Police Determine Appropriate Use of Force by Rory Miller
Rory Miller is a writer and teacher living peacefully in the Pacific Northwest.
He has served for seventeen years in corrections as an officer and sergeant working maximum security, booking and mental health; leading a tactical team; and teaching subjects ranging from Defensive Tactics and Use of Force to First Aid and Crisis Communications with the Mentally Ill. For fourteen months he was an advisor to the Iraqi Corrections System working in Baghdad and Kurdish Sulaymaniyah. Somewhere in the midst of that he received a BS degree in Psychology; served in the National Guard as a Combat Medic (91A/B); earned college varsities in judo and fencing and received a mokuroku in jujutsu. He has drunk chichu with reformed cannibals and 18-year-old scotch with generals...and loves long sword fights on the beach.