As modern hunting and gathering as a movement and a way of life gains momentum, we need continue to discuss, define and evolve what it means to be a conscientious hunter-gatherer. Kevin Kossowan — documentary filmmaker and creator of the gorgeous and thoughtful series, From The Wild — joins us for a conversation on all things hunting and gathering. His series From The Wild is a Canadian-based documentary series following a group of food industry friends exploring the wild foods that surround them — putting them face to face with the adventures and uncharted culinary territories that wild foods offer.
From Ruffed Grouse to Shaggy Mane mushroom to Moose to Brook Trout, Kevin does not shy away from any of the wild food kingdoms, and in today’s episode, Kevin shares what he’s learned over years of procuring wild food from his local landscape and shares his thoughts on some of the leading ethical debates in the hunting and gathering world. Kevin is a fellow conscientious hunter-gatherer, and as such, it was interesting to hear his thoughts on assigning culinary value to different wild foods, processing the dispatch of another life and the radical range of differences in motivation and ethics in the hunting world. We also get into the topics of bow vs. rifle hunting and hunting in your local ecology vs. traveling to experience the wild foods of novel ecological landscapes. As we collectively forge this new path as hunters and gatherers with a deep connection to the land that provides for us and a passion for sustaining that land for future generations, Kevin offers his unique perspective from his adventures hunting and gathering the wild landscape of Alberta, Canada.
- Show Introduction:
- SurThrival’s new product: Taboo Aphrodisia
- Results from Daniel’s urine analysis test
- Hunt + Gather updates: Making cider, wild ricing & hunting seasons
- Want to learn how to process acorns with Daniel and Frank Giglio?
- Q&A: Daniel’s morning static apnea practice
- Introducing Kevin Kossowan
- Kevin’s shares a bit about his background
- Curating an intelligent and thoughtful show on hunting & gathering
- Exposing chefs to wild foods
- Being a generalist
- Favorite species Kevin has worked with
- Exploring the terroir of the landscape
- Assigning culinary value to wild food
- How Kevin approaches the dispatch of another life
- Exploring the differing viewpoints and motivations in the hunting world
- Bow vs rifle hunting
- Thoughts on selecting weapons for the hunt
- Hunting close to home vs destination hunts
- Leaving a legacy for future generations
- Kevin’s prognosis for the future of the human species
Subscribe to ReWild Yourself Podcast
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by:
If you would love to have a Clearlight sauna in your home, I have a special offer for you! Because of our great relationship, Clearlight has offered our community $450 off your order, free shipping anywhere in the contiguous United States, and a free backrest when you use the coupon code REWILD at check out!
RESOURCES FROM THIS SHOW:
- SurThrival Taboo-Aphrodisia
- SurThrival Yaupon Tea
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: Parasites! Who’s Inhabiting Your Gut? - Evan Brand #160
- Hank Shaw
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: Why I Fish Tenkara - Daniel Galhardo #99
- Brook trout
- Ruffed grouse
- White-tailed deer
- Shaggy mane mushroom
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: The Quest for Wild Terroir - Pascal Baudar #159
- The New Wildcrafted Cuisine: Exploring the Exotic Gastronomy of Local Terroir by Pascal Baudar
- Steve Rinella
- MeatEater Podcast
- MeatEater TV show
- Caribou in Alberta
Kevin Kossowan is a documentary filmmaker specializing in food and agriculture related film about growing, gleaning, hunting, foraging, fishing, preserving and connecting with local farmers. Kevin’s work has received numerous awards, including a “People’s Choice Award” at the 2014 Edmonton International Film Fest for his Japan-based documentary, Springhammer.
Kevin is founder of Story Chaser Productions, a production company that chases stories around the globe and is currently in production of season four of From The Wild, a Canadian-based documentary series following a group of food industry friends exploring the wild foods that surround them — putting them face to face with the adventures and uncharted culinary territories that wild foods offer.