"Awareness is the gateway for feeling the texture of lived life." —Dr. Dan Siegel
In this episode, the fascinating Dr. Dan Siegel joins us for a conversation on the human mind and mindsight. Dr. Siegel — Harvard graduate, professor at UCLA & New York Times bestselling author — has lectured for the likes of the Dalai Lama, the Pope and the King of Thailand.
"Mindsight is a term coined by Dr. Siegel to describe our human capacity to perceive the mind of the self and others." In this interview, Dr. Siegel explains how we can literally change our brains by developing the skill of mindsight, interconnectedness and how relationships and social networks work in the brain, and the importance of integration (the linkage of differentiated parts of the brain). Prepare to have your mind expanded!
- Dr. Siegel’s journey through mindsight
- What is interpersonal neurobiology?
- Mind vs. Brain — who drives who? The 3 processes of the mind
- The 4th aspect of “mind”
- Mental training — where attention goes, neural firing flows, and neural connection grows.
- The reason relationships/social networks are so important
- How does “being aware” change the brain?
- “What’s wrong with the human brain that it believes everything isn’t interconnected?"
- The 3 potentially relevant issues of quantum physics that relate to the mind
- How we perceive reality
- Entrainment of two systems — relationships
- An integrated self — honoring “MWe"
- Why Africa is the healthiest continent in the world
- The arrow of time & the plane of possibility
- Your human legacy and how we connect to past and future
- The importance of integration
- The Wheel of Awareness
- Dr. Siegel’s prognosis for the future of the human species
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by Surthrival.com, a premier provider of supplements designed to advance your health and transformation. Aimed to assist and restore the body’s fundamental needs: adaptability, immunity, potency, recovery and regeneration, Surthrival products are formulated to invoke the wild nature hidden within the timid and tamed and promote gains for those who’ve been hittin’ it hard all along. Traditional Herbs for a Modern World and a culture of evolution! This is our Life!
- Living Libations
- Kim Anami's Couples Coming Together Salon
- Interpersonal neurobiology
- William James
- Brain Insights and Well-Being - Part 1
- Brain Insights and Well-Being - Part 2
- Brain Insights and Well-Being - Part 3
- The Neurobiology of “We”
- The Self is Not Defined by the Boundaries of Our Skin
- Relationship Science and Being Human
- Mirror Neurons
- Study: Capuchin Monkeys Display Affiliation Toward Humans Who Imitate Them
- Study: Single-neuron responses in humans during execution and observation of actions
- The Mirror Neuron Revolution: Explaining What Makes Humans Social
- Classical Newtonian mechanics
- Quantum entanglement
- Faraday and the Electromagnetic Theory of Light
- Dwindling African tribe may have been most populous group on planet
- The arrow of time
- The second law of thermodynamics
- Mindfulness As Integration
- Human Connectome Project
- Study: A positive-negative mode of population covariation links brain connectivity, demographics and behavior
Meet Dr. Dan Siegel
Dr. Daniel J. Siegel received his medical degree from Harvard University and completed his postgraduate medical education at UCLA with training in pediatrics and child, adolescent and adult psychiatry. Dr. Siegel is currently clinical professor of psychiatry at the UCLA School of Medicine where he is on the faculty of the Center for Culture, Brain, and Development and the founding co-director of the Mindful Awareness Research Center. An award-winning educator, he is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and recipient of several honorary fellowships. Dr. Siegel is a New York Times best selling author and has also published extensively for the professional audience.
He has lectured for the King of Thailand, Pope John Paul II, His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Google University, London's Royal Society of Arts (RSA), and TEDx. He lives in Southern California with his family.