Caitlin Doughty — mortician, author and death acceptance advocate — joins us for a candid and humorous exploration of our mortality. Caitlin is on a mission to help our death-phobic society overcome anxieties about death and make death a part of life. She sheds light on all areas of death and the dying process in her popular Youtube channel “Ask a Mortician” and New York Times best-selling book Smoke Gets in Your Eyes. She founded the death acceptance collective The Order of the Good Death and co-founded Death Salon. She also runs Undertaking LA, a Los Angeles-based nonprofit progressive funeral home that empowers families to have a closer relationship with their loved one’s death.
In this episode, Caitlin guides us through our rights — post mortem — and encourages us to consider a question not many are prepared to face: How would you like to die? Throughout our human history, families were responsible for the care of their own dead; the practice of transferring death care to a funeral home is a relatively new custom. Caitlin illuminates the non-funeral home & natural death care options that are available to us — at-home funerals, embracing decay, death doulas, natural burials and conservation cemeteries. Empower yourself to embrace the natural process of death and meaningfully interact with the dying process.
- Show Introduction:
- SurThrival Pine Pollen Sale, upcoming product teaser & I'd Rather Hunt + Gather t-Shirts
- Hunt + Gather updates: Eating groundhog, roadkill deer and more!
- Q&A: The sustainability of hunting for 7.5 billion people
- Introducing Caitlin Doughty
- How Caitlin become enamored with the post mortem aspect of anatomy
- Theory and practice
- What is the common response to humor about death?
- The civilizing of civilization — what’s contributed to our fear and avoidance of death
- Caitlin’s exploration into the death rituals of cultures around the world
- Conservation cemeteries
- Death doulas, the non-funeral home experience and death acceptance
- The legalities of handling a dead body
- Immaturity about death
- Elders vs orders
- How Caitlin would like to die
- Caitlin’s prognosis for the future of the human species
Subscribe to ReWild Yourself Podcast
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by:
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by Surthrival.com, a premier provider of supplements designed to advance your health and transformation. Aimed to assist and restore the body’s fundamental needs: adaptability, immunity, potency, recovery and regeneration, Surthrival products are formulated to invoke the wild nature hidden within the timid and tamed and promote gains for those who’ve been hittin’ it hard all along. Traditional Herbs for a Modern World and a culture of evolution! This is our Life!
When it comes to the lotions, potions, scents, creams and essential oils I put on my skin — or recommend to my friends — there’s only Living Libations. Beyond organic, anoint yourself with the highest-vibe essences of the ecosystem. Head over to LivingLibations.com and use coupon code REWILD for 5% off your order!
RESOURCES FROM THIS SHOW:
- On the fear of death
- Natural burial and embracing decay
- Home death care
- Death doula
- International End of Life Doula Association
- National Home Funeral Alliance
- Funeral Consumer Alliance
- Green Burial Council
- Ernest Becker
- The Denial of Death by Ernest Becker
Supplementary ReWild Yourself Podcasts:
Mortician Caitlin Doughty―host and creator of “Ask a Mortician” and the New York Times best-selling author of Smoke Gets in Your Eyes―founded the death acceptance collective The Order of the Good Death and co-founded Death Salon. She lives in Los Angeles, where she runs her nonprofit funeral home, Undertaking LA.