"Two billion people in 80% of the world’s countries consume insects as part of their daily diet, and entomophagy has been practiced by those cultures for thousands of years.”
In today’s bonus ReWild Yourself Podcast episode, I talk with the creators of the new documentary film The Gateway Bug, Johanna B. Kelly and Cameron Marshad. Johanna and Cameron are passionate about entomophagy and its potential to massively improve the sustainability of our current broken food industry. During the making of The Gateway Bug, they learned the ins and outs of the booming American edible insect industry, and they give us an inside look into the current landscape and what we can expect in the future. I hope this interview leaves you inspired to begin including edible insects in your diet!
- How Johanna and Cameron started working on this project
- The insect food industry & the existing broken food industry
- Eating whole insects vs eating insect powder
- Hierarchy of animals
- Nutritional content of insects
- Efficiency of raising insects for food
- Insect foods in grocery stores and restaurants
- The future of insect food
- How to get involved with The Gateway Bug
- Prognosis for the future of the human species
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by Surthrival.com, a premier provider of supplements designed to advance your health and transformation. Aimed to assist and restore the body’s fundamental needs: adaptability, immunity, potency, recovery and regeneration, Surthrival products are formulated to invoke the wild nature hidden within the timid and tamed and promote gains for those who’ve been hittin’ it hard all along. Traditional Herbs for a Modern World and a culture of evolution! This is our Life!
Take this quiz to discover your Erotic Blueprint Type! Once completed, Jaiya will share some insights into how to use the blueprints to create fulfilling and lasting intimacy in your relationship (with yourself or a partner!).
Jaiya has distilled 20 years of the study of attraction, arousal and satisfaction into a framework that helps you discover your personal map of arousal and how you achieve orgasmic states.
- Edible insects: Future prospects for food and feed security
- Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: Inside the Mind of Daniel Quinn - Daniel Quinn #50
- National Geographic Mygrations
- Bug-eating R.I. teacher traverses African plains on TV reality show
- Little Herds
- LIVIN Farms Hive
- What if this device could change your eating habits? | Katharina Unger | TEDxVienna
- Differences in fatty acid composition between aquatic and terrestrial insects used as food in human nutrition.
- Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids: Patterns of occurrence in insects
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: Why You Should Start Eating Insects - Daniella Martin #9
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: Bugging Out with David George Gordon #79
Connect with The Gateway Bug:
Meet Johanna & Cameron
CREATOR & DIRECTOR Johanna B. Kelly
Melbourne native, New York based Filmmaker, Production Designer and Art Director for feature film.
Her credits comprise art directing recent Jedi Mind Tricks music video Deathless Light and 6 feature films as Production Designer including Kickstarter success story Like Lambs shot on 35mm. Kelly worked as Exhibition Designer for the National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne, Australia prior to moving to NYC in 2013. While there she was awarded a full scholarship for her postgraduate work at RMIT University, graduating with a Masters Degree in Design in 2012.
CREATOR & DP Cameron Marshad
A New York-based filmmaker and photographer who has worked on feature films such as Like Lambs, Vimeo’s High Maintenance and documentary projects This Ain’t a Parade and Red Wiggler. Cameron freelances regularly as a camera person, editor and sound mixer with clients such as Huffington Post, VICE Motherboard and Tribeca Digital Studios. He began his film career in 2013 after leaving the world of digital advertising analytics, and is motivated to work on high impact, environmentally and socially-driven projects.