Listen on iTunes or stream above!
It is a commonly-held (and media-fueled) belief in our culture that sun is bad and sunscreen is good. Not only is this inaccurate, but in fact, the opposite is true: Our skin is quite literally designed to be exposed to the sun’s rays, and sunscreen use actually causes a host of issues (one of which, ironically, is skin cancer). Nadine Artemis — sense visionary and founder of Living Libations — joins us to set the record straight on sun exposure and goes over how to properly interact with the sun for optimal health.
- Why you shouldn’t suntan through glass
- How sunscreen works
- Benefits of sungazing
- Sunlight and bacteria
- Why you don’t want empty vitamin D receptors
- Negative press surrounding sun exposure and skin
- Wise interaction with the sun
- Kids and sun exposure
- Our skin is designed to be exposed to the sun’s rays
- What we ingest determines how our skin responds to sunlight
- Skin cancer myths debunked
- Using plant oils to harmonize your skin with the sun in lieu of toxic sunscreens
- Naked Sun Time Challenge
- ReWild Yourself! Podcast: Gerald Pollack on The Fourth Phase of Water
- Niels Ryberg Finsen
- Auguste Rollier
- Google images of Auguste Rollier's Switzerland clinic
- Circadian photoreception: ageing and the eye’s important role in systemic health
- Sunlight and Vitamin D
- The Role of Vitamin D in Cancer Prevention
- App: dminder
- Photosynthesis of previtamin D3 in human skin and the physiologic consequences
- Vitamin D: The Wonder Vitamin That May Help You Prevent 16 Types of Cancer
- Seneff, Stephanie, PhD. “Sulfur Deficiency”
- Dr. Stephanie Seneff on Sulfur
- Dr. Weston Price Fat Soluble Nutrients
- Tomato paste helps fight sunburn and wrinkles
- Animal Cells Powered by Sunlight/Chlorophyll
- Light-harvesting chlorophyll pigments enable mammalian mitochondria to capture photonic energy and produce ATP
- n-6 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Increase Skin but not Cervical Cancer in Human
- Papillomavirus 16 Transgenic Mice
- A. Bernard Ackerman
- Fluorescent lights, ultraviolet lamps, and risk of cutaneous melanoma.
- Do sunscreens increase risk of melanoma in populations residing at higher latitudes?
- Sunscreen Use, Wearing Clothes, and Number of Nevi in 6- to 7-Year-Old European Children
- Sandalwood oil prevents skin tumor development in Mice
- α-Santalol, a derivative of sandalwood oil, induces apoptosis in human prostate cancer cells by causing caspase-3 activation.
Connect with Nadine:
Books mentioned in this podcast:
Nadine Artemis is the creator of Living Libations, an exquisite line of serums, elixirs, and essentials oils for those seeking the purest of the pure botanical health and beauty products on the planet. She is the author of Holistic Dental Care: The Complete Guide to Healthy Teeth and Gums, a frequent commentator on health and beauty for media outlets, and her products have received rave reviews in the New York Times, the National Post, and the Hollywood Reporter. Described by Alanis Morissette as “a true-sense visionary,” Nadine has formulated a stunning collection of rare and special botanical compounds. An innovative aromacologist, Nadine develops immune-enhancing formulas and medicinal blends for health and wellness; her potent dental serums are used worldwide and provide the purest oral care available. Her healing creations, along with her concept of “Renegade Beauty,” encourage effortlessness, eschew regimes, and inspire people to rethink conventional notions of beauty and wellness. Nadine’s fresh paradigm for beauty and her natural approach to health presents a revolutionary vision; it allows the life-force of flowers, dewdrops, plants, the sun, and water to be the ingredients of healthy living and lets everything unessential, contrived, and artificial fall away.