Stefano Tripney is a contextual movement coach and MovNat certified trainer who creatively bridges the inner workings of the mind and body with our collective external landscapes in order to explore, learn, experience, and play with the world and our place in it. Earlier this summer, Stefano and I spent a week together hiking through the forests of Maine, gathering wild foods, fishing and foraging wild water.
In between harvesting wild pine pollen and trout fishing, we sat down at the ReWilding headquarters to discuss Stefano's philosophies on being a more capable human. During this fun and wide-ranging conversation, we get into the correlation between movement and cognitive ability, how to stay motivated to train, moving through dynamic and texture-rich environments, unstructured play, forest bathing and much, much more.
- Daniel shares about his latest bio-regional hunt and answers a question on including rich sources of Omega-3s in your diet
- A more capable human
- Unconscious competence
- Adapting to our modern, virtual world
- Movement and cognitive ability
- Developing peripheral motor skills — changing the environment
- Staying motivated to train
- Progression from jungle gyms to sports & athleticism
- Breaking down the movement complexities needed for wild food foraging
- Adapting to your dynamic environment
- Obstacle optics
- Forest bathing and texture + stimulus rich environments
- Utilizing playgrounds for training
- The benefits of natural playgrounds
- Stimulus breaks are the new cigarette breaks
- All roads lead to the natural world
- Stephano’s prognosis for the future of the human species
- Working with Stephano
- Closing thoughts on unstructured play
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by Surthrival.com, a premier provider of supplements designed to advance your health and transformation. Aimed to assist and restore the body’s fundamental needs: adaptability, immunity, potency, recovery and regeneration, Surthrival products are formulated to invoke the wild nature hidden within the timid and tamed and promote gains for those who’ve been hittin’ it hard all along. Traditional Herbs for a Modern World and a culture of evolution! This is our Life!
When it comes to the lotions, potions, scents, creams and essential oils I put on my skin — or recommend to my friends — there’s only Living Libations. Beyond organic, anoint yourself with the highest-vibe essences of the ecosystem. Head over to LivingLibations.com and use coupon code REWILD for 5% off your order!
- Light Cellar
- Four stages of competence
- Peripheral nervous system
- Arthur Haines
- ReWild Yourself podcast: How Speaking English Impacts Our Relationship With Nature - Arthur Haines #12
- Japanese forest bathing
- Katy Bowman
- ReWild Yourself podcast: Sitting Ninjas vs. Couchless Samurais - Katy Bowman #41
- ReWild Yourself podcast: The Art of Parkour: Physically and Mentally Overcoming Obstacles - Ryan Ford #46
Connect with Stefano:
- Work with Stefano — Stefano will be moving to Victoria on Vancouver Island very soon, so if you're in the area and want to train with him, get in touch via any of the links listed in this section :)
- Stefano on Instagram @captainstefano
- Stephano on Twitter @captainstefano
- Stefano on Facebook
Contextual Movement Coach, Level 3 MovNat™ and Combatives Trainer, Martial Arts, Personal Protection & Awareness Educator
Stefano creatively bridges the inner workings of the mind and body with our collective external landscapes in order to explore, learn, experience, and play with the world and our place in it.
He is known for his bright energy and ability to inspire mindful execution, technical skill, physical competence and limitless creativity in his clients and classes.