Tristan Gooley returns to ReWild Yourself Podcast to guide us through the lost art of reading nature’s signs. Tristan is an author and natural navigator. He teaches people to re-awaken their senses and tune into their ancestral ability to navigate across a landscape using the signs that nature provides. Tristan has led expeditions in five continents, climbed mountains in Europe, Africa and Asia, sailed small boats across oceans and piloted small aircraft to Africa and the Arctic. He has walked with and studied the methods of the Tuareg, Bedouin and Dayak in some of the remotest regions on Earth. He is the only living person to have both flown solo and sailed singlehanded across the Atlantic and is a Fellow of the Royal Institute of Navigation and the Royal Geographical Society.
In this episode, Tristan explains how — once we learn to use nature as a compass — we can create a natural navigation map based in ecological knowledge. We also discuss Tristan’s latest work and the importance of purposeful nature engagement. Tristan gives us practical tips for re-awakening our senses to the natural world and simple techniques for getting started in natural navigation. Tune in, and be inspired to interact with your local landscape in a new and more intimate way!
- Show Introduction:
- Hunt + gather updates: A recent trip to North Carolina and my Thanksgiving meal plan
- Season 3 of ReWild Yourself Podcast ends soon!
- Introducing Tristan Gooley
- Engaging with nature on a cerebral or physical level
- Simple techniques to dabbling in natural navigations
- Creating a natural navigation map based in ecology
- How people navigate around the world
- What Tristan’s working on now
- Going into nature with purpose
- How to inspire people to re-awaken their senses
- Getting someone started in navigation
- The future of natural navigation
- Tristan’s prognosis for the future of the human species
Subscribe to ReWild Yourself Podcast
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by:
RESOURCES FROM THIS SHOW:
- ReWild Yourself Podcast: Natural Navigation - Tristan Gooley #27
- Walk this way: tips on seeing landscapes in a new light
- How to Make a Compass Out of Sand, Snow or Dust
Tristan's guides to navigating using the:
Tristan's guides to navigating in:
Connect with Tristan:
Tristan Gooley is a best-selling author and natural navigator. His passion for the subject of natural navigation stems from his hands-on experience. He has led expeditions in five continents, climbed mountains in Europe, Africa and Asia, sailed small boats across oceans and piloted small aircraft to Africa and the Arctic. He is the only living person to have both flown solo and sailed singlehandedly across the Atlantic, and he is a Fellow of the Royal Institute of Navigation and the Royal Geographical Society. He and his school can be found online at NaturalNavigator.com.