I’m thrilled to have my friend Chef Frank Giglio back on ReWild Yourself Podcast! Frank is an incredible chef who creates innovative dishes utilizing wild, local, seasonal and sustainable ingredients. A fellow Mainer, he and his family live on an off-the-grid homestead called Three Lily Farm where they are committed to living harmoniously with their local ecology.
In this conversation, Frank and I have a great time chatting about all things hunting, gathering and farming. We share personal stories about our hunting and gathering experiences and discuss everything from invasive species to learning new skills by volunteering to how Frank makes coffee and so much more!
- Show Introduction
- Spring hunting & gathering
- Q&A: How to avoid rewilding splitting into camps and "denominations" based on philosophy and praxis
- Q&A: What Daniel plans to feed his new hunting dog
- Introducing Frank Giglio
- New generation of farmers
- Maple water
- How Frank makes coffee
- A story about Frank’s dog Jasmine
- Recapping maple syrup season
- Using acorn in recipes
- Volunteering to learn skills — Frank’s recent mussel trip
- Cod fishing
- Wild fish vs farmed fish
- Heavily managed game animals
- Targeting invasive species
- An upcoming fish adventure
- Predictions for the new generations of farmers
- Inspiring Netflix recommendations
- A teaser for a potential upcoming course collaboration between Frank and Daniel
- Breaking down butchering
Subscribe to ReWild Yourself Podcast
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by:
ReWild Yourself Podcast is brought to you by Surthrival.com, a premier provider of supplements designed to advance your health and transformation. Aimed to assist and restore the body’s fundamental needs: adaptability, immunity, potency, recovery and regeneration, Surthrival products are formulated to invoke the wild nature hidden within the timid and tamed and promote gains for those who’ve been hittin’ it hard all along. Traditional Herbs for a Modern World and a culture of evolution! This is our Life!
If you would love to have a Clearlight sauna in your home, I have a special offer for you! Because of our great relationship, Clearlight has offered our community $450 off your order, free shipping anywhere in the contiguous United States, and a free backrest when you use the coupon code REWILD at check out!
RESOURCES FROM THIS SHOW:
- Sheepscot General Store and Farm
- Arthur Haines on maple sap
- Burr grinders
- A Dog’s Purpose
- Davebilt #43 Nutcracker
- Anthony Bourdain
- Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World by Mark Kurlansky
- Miya's Sushi
- Kirk Lombard
- Seafood Watch - Monterey Bay Aquarium
- A MeatEater’s Guide to Eating Invasive Species
- Chef’s Table
- The Mind of a Chef
- Gabrielle Hamilton - Prune Restaurant
Supplementary ReWild Yourself Podcasts:
- Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen - Frank Giglio #85
- Neo-Abo Roundtable, Part One - Daniel Vitalis, Arthur Haines, Frank Giglio #119
- Neo-Abo Roundtable, Part Two - Daniel Vitalis, Arthur Haines, Frank Giglio #120
Connect with Frank:
Frank Giglio apprenticed directly under some of the top chefs in the US, which instilled a deep understanding of the creative process in working with food. He became a classically trained chef at the New England Culinary Institute in Montpelier, VT, Years later would go on to graduate from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition in NYC. While Giglio’s culinary offerings are based in classic technique and traditional foods preparation, he has also been immersed in using food as medicine. Wearing his chef’s hat, he focuses on sustainable cuisine, seeking the highest quality foods grown locally and harvested in season, supporting the crucial farm to table method of preparing food. Frank and his family live off-the-grid in midcoast Maine, where enjoys spending as much time as possible outdoors, which he believes directly influences his time in the kitchen.
Giglio's adventurous culinary offerings have been showcased throughout the health community as Frank is the featured chef for Dr. Alejandro Junger’s NY Times Best-Selling Clean Eats Cookbook. Through his many ventures and projects, Frank Giglio is helping to bring the local and sustainable food movement to communities everywhere, making it extremely accessible and incredibly delicious!